Thursday, February 10, 2005

Will I be really improving?

As suggested by the man himself, a good litmus test for any chess study plan is to see how much your rating has improved (or keeps improving) since you've started on it. Let's see (somewhat like measuring once weight before going on a diet) where am I today.

As I'm currently playing on-line chess, I'd have to use the raiting I got on different sites. Though I'm playing in several chess by mail sites, I don't think my rating on any of them is very representative (basically because the slow convergence implied by having games which go on for weeks long). OTOH, I have a [horror] Yahoo! Chess rating of about 1340 (which won't mean anything for you unless you play there) which I found very accurate for my current strength (or lack of it thereof). Probably more familiar for any reader (ha - do you really think someone else is reading this?) would be my FICS raiting of 1383 (and descending) with an RD of 104.4. I also have there a Blitz rating (not that I fancy being beaten at it, but I'm not too proficient at using getgame, you see) of 1041 with an RD of 149.4, which is a proof of my problem on tactics awareness (more easily spotted on Blitz games).

Let's see where I stand six months from now. Now back to my exercises!

9 Comments:

Blogger David Glickman said...

Hi,

I also want to wish you luck and congratulate you on joining the Knights. As the "house reporter" for the Knights I periodically pull together links from their blogs and post other items related to their adventurers. This recent post mentions your membership.

I look forward to reading about your efforts.

DG - Boylston Chess Club Weblog

7:20 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Hello,

I have an extremely long view on improvement. Oversimplified it is
1. Do 1000 tactics problems
2. Play and post-mortem 100 standard games.
3. Check your rating now!

I will know by 2008 or so if it works ;).

Spill

9:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Welcome to the Knights of the round robin.

Tempo.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Don Q. said...

Hey YAP,

Does Argentina have a national chess organization?

5:38 AM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey FICS rating of 1383 and RD of 104.4, sounds like we would be equally matched. What's your handle? I'll add you to my watch list. Mine is the same.

PS

11:31 AM  
Blogger Zek said...

I improve the most by playing over the board games and then reviewing the games afterwards.

Typically little is learned from playing blitz online games.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Margriet said...

You don't play on a club?
Do you play long games from 4 to six ours?
In those games I discovered real improvement.

7:26 PM  
Blogger JavaManIssa said...

I don't think blitz is a good indication of strength at all. We all blunder a lot in blitz, but i've noticed if you don't blunder much in long games you get better at blitz :).

11:40 PM  
Blogger funkyfantom said...

Hey Patz,

Welcome to the knights!
I'm a newbie myself.
Feel free to speak your mind
on my blog, too.

Funky

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home